Pages

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Collard Greens with Black Truffle oil

I was very curious about this vegetable. It is called Collard Greens. Last week it was on sale and we bought some. I immediately looked for Collard Greens recipes when we got home. All the recipes that I read had it cooked over an hour. It was too late to try any of those recipe as dinner time was near. So I cooked it like my mother cooks her green vegetables, the Chinese way. Instead of using garlic and canola oil, I use Black Truffle oil with no garlic. I don't want the taste of garlic to overpower the truffle flavor. Well, it turned out good and is easy and fast.

 
1 lb Collard Green, wash and cut into 1/2" strips, discard the stalks (the leafs are really big, you might want to cut it smaller)
1 1/2 tbsp Black Truffle oil
3 tbsp of water (don't use too much water as the vegetable retains some water from the washing)
Salt to taste



These few things must stay near the frying pan before you start to cook: Pan lid, vegetable, water and salt. 

Heat a cast iron frying pan or stainless steel pan on high heat. Once the pan is heated add oil. The oil should look runny in the pan, if not your pan is not hot enough. Add the vegetable into the pan and cover it immediately, wait for 30 seconds.

Uncover and use a spatula (I use chop stick) to stir the vegetable, at this point, vegetables on the top should look green and the bottom ones should have already changed color. Turn the vegetables upside down, work fast, add water and quickly cover the pan again. Wait for a minute or until the vegetables are cooked through. Add salt to taste and serve hot. 

Tips:
It is a bad idea to use non stick pan for high heat stir fly or deep fry. Even though the manufacturer stated the pan can stand up to 500°F, I had a painful and expensive experience. I now use a cast iron or stainless steel pan for high heat stir fry and deep fry.

This one is from my sister. One day when I was cooking, she saw me splatter the vegetables outside the pan. The Chinese saying is "chicken hand duck leg" hahaha. She told me to have the fresh vegetables placed into the pan cover instead of another plate. Once the pan is heated, drop the whole thing onto the pan. Isn't this a good idea? You might have some pieces of vegetable sticking out from the cover after you drop in the vegetables. Leave it, don't try to push it in or what ever, by doing so you will lose a lot of heat. After the first 30 seconds, you can stir in the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment